Sunday, April 19, 2009

Hindu Wedding Card

...Well, my best shot at one, anyway. My family has befriended a family of refugees from Bhutan over the past few months, and they invited us to a wedding today for one of the nephews. I wanted to make a card to go with our gift, but I have to admit I have next to no knowledge of Hindu traditions and symbolism, and I was really concerned about making something that would inadvertently be a major faux pas. Yay for Google! I did a little bit of research and found that some of the major elements of Hindu wedding ceremonies are the color red, flowers, and blessings. This is not my usual style, but I really hope the couple enjoys the card -- it definitely used all of my brain power!



Materials: PP from My Mind's Eye (Magnolia collection), large red flower from Heidi Swapp, Ivory flower from Making Memories, orange flower unknown, brad from All My Memories. Gold sentiment and details hand-drawn with gel pen. Ticket corner punch from Stampin Up.

5 comments:

Heather in FL said...

I think it's a great card and I think the couple will appreciate that you researched the traditions. I think it's very thoughtful of you to have done that.

Jen said...

Beautiful color combination! And card.
Thank you for sharing :)

ScrapMomOf2 said...

How awesome that you researched it first! I'm sure they LOVED it! It's gorgeous!

Stacey said...

I am also LDS and my husbands boss is from India and their son is getting married soon, Thanks for the idea!!! They are the nicest people I know and my husband actually enjoys going to work since working for him!
Don't remember how I found your blog but I really like your ideas, thanks!!

Sella said...

Very beautiful!I like your cards.