Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Why do I love crafting?

My family and friends, by and large, are not paper-crafty people (not yet, anyway -- muahahahaha!). Amazingly artistic and creative, yes, but not crafty. I am frequently called upon to explain my addiction to paper -- why do I HAVE to scrapbook and make cards for every occasion? I've thought about it a lot, and here is my answer:

#1 -- I am a stay-at-home mom, which is wonderful all by itself and I wouldn't want to trade, but it does have its own frustrations. I wash the same clothes, do the same dishes, and sweep the same cheerio-covered floor over and over and over again. But when I make a scrapbook page, mini-album, or card, it's permanent! It's something that can be enjoyed forever, that doesn't have to be redone.

#2 -- This is the main reason, though I'm sure some people would think it's corny: I craft because I care! (I couldn't think of a cornier way to say it than that!) Really, though, I make cards and mini-albums and such as gifts because I want the people in my life to know that they mean something to me, that I care about them enough to invest my time and talents in creating something that (hopefully) they will treasure. Same goes for scrapbooking -- I want my sweet little boys and the rest of my family to know that I love them enough to keep a record of the amazing, sweet people they are. I want them to know that the memories we share are the treasures of my life. My boys are only 3 and 1, and I know I don't remember anything that far back except a few flashes. If something happened to me (or my husband, parents, grandparents, etc.), neither of them would remember us later in life. There is so much love in our family, in spite of and because of our struggles. The thought that such love might be forgotten is so sad to me; I want to document our family relationships in a way that will serve as a permanent, tangible reminder of all that we share.

#3 -- I just really love pretty things. :)

Thanks for bearing with me...

No comments: