Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Peg Doll Family

I'll be the first to admit I have craft ADD -- when I see something new that I love, I have to try it out, even though I'm in the middle of 15 other kinds of projects.  This happened to me recently when I stumbled across GooseGrease on etsy.  I fell in love with their adorable custom peg doll families.  Then I noticed they had a separate shop (GooseGreaseUndone) where you can buy the unfinished dolls, mixing and matching a wide variety of sizes to match your own family.  Yes, please!  I ordered 5 little dolls for my family right away, and I've finally had a chance to finish painting them!  Here is our little family:


I painted them with acrylic craft paint and did a lot of the details with waterproof markers, then finished them with a coat of matte Mod Podge.  I learned a lot doing these and would definitely do some things differently next time (like waiting for the paint or mod podge on the heads to dry completely before picking them up -- I had to redo a few things because I was so impatient).

I let the boys tell me what they wanted on their shirts.  Sam, lover of all things learning and super excited about the approaching start of the school year, requested an A+.  I also gave him "distressed" jeans, because he had just told me he thought those were cool.

Joshy wanted a silly face on his.

Eliza got a cute pink princess-y dress in front...

And a super-hero cape in the back, because that how she rolls...

I mod-podge book paper on for my dress, then painted on the yellow cardigan and turquoise flower.

Dan has recently developed an affinity for plaid shirts, so that's what he got.

So there you have it!  This was such a fun little project.  Now the dolls live on the cabinet in our entryway, cheerily greeting everyone who comes over.

I'm not the only one who loves them, either.  Eliza plays with them pretty much every day -- I'm always finding them in different configurations, as though they are in the middle of a conversation or on some adventure together.



4 comments:

carrieap said...

These are wonderful! It would be so fun to do these for our entire family!
They are durable enough to play with? It would be fun to have the whole kittin' caboodle here with the toys.

Camille said...

These doll are really cute and I love their personalities. They remind me of the ones in one of my daughters favorite books when she was little called "The Tub People". She's 16 now but I'll bet she would still like a set of her own.

Tonya said...

Those are totally cute! Great job painting them. :)

Crystal Farish said...

My daughter would have LOVED these when she was little. I made our family out of Popsicle sticks one time, and she carried those things around for about 2 years. And they weren't even special looking!!! So funny what kids like. Super cute idea.