Saturday, May 8, 2010

Cinema Saturday Guest Designer -- Much Ado About Nothing

I was honored last week to find out that I had won the "Audrey" award over at Cinema Saturday for my Up card, and part of that was the opportunity to be a guest designer this week!  The movie this week is "Much Ado About Nothing" -- the movie version of the Shakespeare play with Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branaugh.


I hadn't seen it in years, so I found it on YouTube and had a fantastically nostalgic time watching  it.  It reminds me so much of my high school years, when I was a member of the Shakespeare team and did more than one scene from that very play.  Ah, good times.  I had forgotten how downright funny that movie is -- even if you don't think you're a Shakespeare fan, it's presented so well you'll forget to hate it. :)

Now, on to the cards.  Our assignment was to use parchment in some way, and I have to admit that it was a huge challenge for me!  The word parchment just brought to mind the old-school mottled paper that I used to print resumes on when I worked at OfficeMax in college -- so not my style now!  I thought about the challenge all week but just couldn't get any mojo going.  Then last night inspiration struck at last, and I ended up with not one but TWO cards that I really love!  They are both wedding cards, because what better theme for Much Ado About Nothing?!

For this first card, what inspired me while thinking about "parchment" was the rich texture of that paper.  I was also inspired by the costumes in the movie -- nearly everyone in the movie is dressed in some shade of white or ivory throughout.  I sprayed the base of the card with "Old Lace" Glimmer Mist, then layered on the pretty scroll-y layer cut from the same cardstock.  I love the white-on-white look, and that the glimmer mist gives it just enough sparkle to deepen that texture.


Other supplies: Punch and stamps -- Stampin Up; Flowers -- Making Memories; Brad -- Joann; Diecut -- Cricut Lyrical Letters cartridge



The second card was really inspired by the paper.  I thought the scripty writing on the ivory background was just perfect for the "parchment" theme, and the fact that the words are actually taken from A Midsummer Night's Dream (another Shakespeare play) was a great bonus. 



Supplies:  Patterned paper -- Scenic Route; Metallic gold paper -- Provo Craft; Punches and stamps -- Stampin Up; Diecut -- Cricut Storybook cartridge

I hope you'll all check out Cinema Saturday -- it's such a fun challenge blog, and Brooke and Sankari (the ladies who run it) are incredibly talented artists.  I can't wait to see what movie they pick next!

2 comments:

Brooke S said...

WOWERS! you totally rocked the Cinema challenge... Sorry the parchment was so challenging for you.. That just makes the cards that much more rewarding in the end.. I {heart} both cards in the first all the texture and layering in the monochromatic is just beautiful and spot on with the costumes from the movie.. And the second is equally beautiful with vivid colors and gorgeous detail. I love all the swirls and print you used... Thanks soooooo much for join us as a guest designer this week we are blessed to have you.

HUGS
BROOKE

Nishant said...

I love this post about pretty paper.
indian classified site