Monday, February 22, 2010

Felt + Cricut = LOVE!

Oh, golly -- you know those crafting moments where you go "A-HA!" and you jump up and down with glee?  (Okay, some of you might be too cool to actually jump up and down and clap your hands, but I bet you're doing it on the inside...)  Well, I had one of the moments on Saturday night.

My dh's cousin sent me a message asking about the Cricut and whether it could cut felt.  My first thought was no, how could it possibly?  But I'd never actually tried it, so I decided to give it a go.  I got out my Heat-n-Bond UltraHold (the must-have if you're going to cut fabric with the bug) and ironed it onto two different kinds of felt -- one the cheap polyester kind you get on the bolt at Joann's, and the other some nice wool felt I bought at a quilt shop.  Wool felt is much sturdier and just all around nicer than the polyester stuff.

I tried the cheap stuff first, and it behaved just like I expected:  badly.  The felt stretched too much for the blade to cut properly and it got red fuzzies all over my mat.  I tried several different settings and both my regular and deep-cut blade housings but saw no improvement.

After a quick swipe with the lint roller (another indispensible tool when working with the Cricut), I loaded up the wool felt.  My expectations were not high, but to my surprise it cut like a dream!  I cut it with my regular blade housing at blade depth 6, pressure and speed at max.  I used my experiments to create this adorable pin for my little girl's skirt:


You do end up with iron-on adhesive on the back, so one side will be shiny, but I can't think of many applications where that would be a huge problem (and it may even be just what you need for your project!).  You do also need to check the blade frequently to remove any felt fluff that gets caught on it.

So I've got all sorts of plans a-brewin' for fun felt accessories.  I told my hubby that a whole new world had opened up to me!  Lucky for him, it's a world for which I already have all the supplies!

Other notes:  I used the flower from the Plantin Schoolbook cartridge at 2, 2 1/2, and 3" and hand cut the leaves.  The green button is from Stampin' Up, and I'm not sure where the pink button came from.  I attached a pin to the back and pinned it to my little girl's skirt.  I realized when I went to wash the skirt this morning that that was a BAD idea -- she pulled at it so much she put a pea-sized hole in the skirt.  So don't do the pin thing if you have a toddler who doesn't appreciate your attempts to make her so so pretty! :)

39 comments:

Denise Rose said...

Oh this is so cool! And I also jump up and down when I figure things like this out or when my friends do! Thanks for sharing this! Hope you are doing well!

Ramona said...

That is gorgeous! Now I know where to go when I need felt flowers for a project!!! Don't be surprised if I come a-knockin!! And I'm definitely not too cool to jump up and down-just ask my kids!!!

Tonya said...

WOW! That turned out beautifully! Thanks for sharing the how-to. I will probably make some for Carly and Jayna. I had tried cutting the cheap felt with my bug before and it didn't work. I am glad you found a way to do it. Thanks, Tomi Ann!

AShu93 said...

I'll have to try some experimenting with that. Thanks for the helpful info.

Sarah said...

What an awesome idea! So glad you tried it! I have litterally TONS of wool felt begging to be used. I wonder how it would act with a wash away stabilizer under it, like for embroidery machines. I will have to try it and see! YAY!

Amanda T said...

That flower is so gorgeous! Thank you for the tips on using felt. I haven't been brave enough to try it, but now I just might! How cute are you!! Thanks for sharing.

Mariesa M. said...

Now I have one more reason why I NEED a cricut! Cute flower!

Julie said...

That is totally awesome... I saw your post topic and was like... there's no way... This is the coolest thing! There are tons of projects that need that 3D effect and this is perfect! GREAT A HA moment!

Amy C said...

So cool!! I would love to cut some felt in my cricut. Thanks for the tips (about pinning on a little girl's clothes, too)!! ;)

endicott 8 said...

this is fabulous! I have gone and bought all the supplies to try this. Your flower looks sooooo professional! I have been trying to make flowers like this one for hair clips! happy day! THANK U!

kjbdownie said...

Beautiful! I would love to make some of those!! I only have the cheap felt right now so I've got to get to the quilt shop and get something nicer. How expensive is the nicer felt? Thanks!

ScrapMomOf2 said...

Oh my goodness!! That's amazing! What a beautiful layered felt flower! WOW!

karenjeanhall said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. I googled felt for cricut because my friend and I make baptism banners for our church and cutting all the letters by hand is exhausting. Can't wait to try the wool felt -- next banner will be for my first grandchild. Thanks

rebekah said...

i'm jumping up and down... while typing this!! going to have to try this one for sure!
thanks for the tip! cute flower!

rebekah said...

i've become a follower! great blog!

Doris P. said...

oohh a new site to follow. A big thanks to a cricut reader who saw your post before and a new question i asked earlier today.
so.. my question is: Is the cheaper felt that didn't work well - like the felt you would buy individual at walmart or joannes.. is the felt??
I have to do letters for a church project and you trying it has helped me. thanks! :)
parkernana5@cox.net

Jennifer said...

Oh, No. I'm sort of jumping up and down but this will just add to my flower pin obsession. Now I will be looking all over to find the perfect wool felt. Thanks for the info

Happy Scrap Girl said...

These are great tips! A couple of questions - did you wash the wool felt first? did you use 100% wool felt, or do you think a wool blend would work ok? I think it's blended with Rayon (35% wool).

Brittanie Gordon said...

Thank you SO much! I need to make 12 felt hair clippy shapes that I just CANNOT cut free hand.. was SO hoping to make them with cricut to match the other birthday party accessories... I would have been too afraid before!! Off to see if I already have red wool felt!

Dana said...

Just wondering if you cut w/the felt side up or the Heat & Bond side up?
Thanks! Dana
theothersweetlou at gmail dot com

Pauline said...

This is excellent news gonna give it a lil try this afty . Not sure what the felt is that I have but I'll let you know . Have a great day :-)

Unknown said...

Love the felt idea. Have you ever cut satin? Or other materials?

Unknown said...

Hi! I was wondering what machine you have. Did you use the Cricut Create Machine, Cricut Expression Machine, or the Personal Electronic Cutter Machine? Thanks!!

tomiannie said...

@Mommy2Three -- I haven't cut satin, so I'm not sure how that would work, but it would definitely be worth a try! I have cut 100% cotton, which works great.

@Kasey -- I've believe I have used both my Personal cutter (baby bug) and E for cutting felt. I've definitely cut fabric with my baby bug. There really shouldn't be a difference in how it cuts between machines, I don't think.

Leonie Castro said...

I will definitely try this tomorrow. Thanks for the tip

Patti said...

Very cool! Thanks for the instruction. I am awarding you The Versatile Blogger award. Please stop by my blog and pick up. Thanks!

callahancountrybugs.blogspot.com

Kathy said...

Felt off 40% at Joanns this weekend.

Kathy said...

Felt is 40% off at Joanns this weekend.

Amalie said...

thanks so much. I was wanting to make a felt snowflake banner today and this was exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate your explanation. It is very exact.

poppy lovesaparty said...

JoAnn does carry wool felt. It is the wool/polyester mix like you can buy on etsy. They don't have very many colors but with a coupon it surely is cheaper than buying on Etsy. I've had great success with the 35% 65% mix but they do have a few colors of 100% wool. I think that it's $10.99 a yard and then less for the mixes. DON'T buy the acrylic on the yardage rolls - it won't work!

mommy of two monkeys said...

I've followed these instructions and it just isn't working for me! It isn't cutting deep enough to cut through the felt. Any tips as to what I might be doing wrong?

tomiannie said...

Hmmm, what kind of felt are you using? If it's thicker, or if your blade is a little dull, you might need to cut it more than once. Hope that helps!

Unknown said...

what a wonderful idea? thanks for searing this information with us.miss you quotes

Unknown said...

nice information about the felt + circuit love.very useful information.
careerbix

Unknown said...

very nice definition of love,thanks for giving this informatio.
ibps recruitment

Anonymous said...

WOW this is so cool.what a wonderful idea? nice information.thanks for sharing this information with us. packers and movers madhapur

Unknown said...

wow!excellent definition of love really hats off to you.
Kerala University

Unknown said...

you have really done a great job for your little girl skirt and gave great definition about love.One Telugu Media

Unknown said...

Great art and good information on LOVE. Thanks for sharing this.Paytm Coupons