Then I pulled up to a yard sale and saw this:
|Cue horror movie music now...|
So I brought it home and started mulling over ways to make it awesome. I had a few different ideas, but nothing really clicked until I thought "STRIPES!" (It was actually surprising that wasn't my first idea, since I have a major obsession with stripes right now.) A few coats of paint and some hardware later, here is the new dresser!
This project took a little time, but was not complicated. Here is how I did it:
1. Clean all surfaces really well. Give them a light sanding (just to rough up the laminate surface a little bit). Wipe down to remove dust from sanding.
2. Apply a coat of Zinsser 1-2-3 Bullseye Primer. *This is the key for painting laminate furniture!* This primer is made specifically to coat slick surfaces like laminate and give the paint something to hold on to. It is seriously awesome stuff. An important thing to remember, though, is to not overload your brush or roller -- the primer is really thick and sticky but dries fast, so if you get globs of it on your piece it will be hard to smooth them out. Let dry for a minimum of 1 hour.
|Don't mind that little nightstand -- I just decided to paint that as long as I had my supplies out.|
3. Paint base color. Mine is Behr Bleached Linen, because I had nearly an entire can leftover from doing my kitchen.
4. This is the only tricky part. Decide how many stripes you want, and divide the width of your drawer by that many. I wanted 13 stripes (7 pink, 6 white). Try not to bang your head on the driveway in frustration as you try to figure out how to equally divide 31 1/8" by 13. Well, that's not difficult -- the answer is 2.394230. But they don't make a mark for that on most rulers. I probably marked and remarked the stripes on the first drawer 10 times trying to get it worked out. I finally figured out that if I made the two pink outside stripes 1/8" wider, the rest could all be the same. Unfortunately, unless you're some kind of crazy math-or-measuring genius, it's probably a matter of trial and error. Once I finally did figure it out, it was very simple and fast to do the rest of the drawers (it took me the better part of an hour to figure it out, but only about 15 minutes to mark and tape). I used a pencil to mark where the stripes should be at the top and bottom of each drawer, then rolled painter's tape for each stripe.
5. Put all drawers back into the dresser to see if they actually line up. Do a little happy dance when they do. Then be glad it's 6 in the morning and none of your neighbors are out to see you. Wonder if it's so cute with the green stripes that maybe you should just leave it that way...
Just a note -- when I went to paint the stripes, I ended up putting another piece of tape in between each set so that the white stripes were completely covered. It saved my sanity because I didn't have to worry about pink paint getting onto the white stripes.
6. Using your base coat paint, paint over the edges of the tape. This will seal the edges of your tape, making sure that you won't get any bleed when you do your stripe color.
7. Paint your stripes!
8. Remove tape. Do a HUGE happy dance (complete with fist pump and "Whoohoo!") when you see how awesome your stripes look. Then realize that it is now the afternoon and several neighbors are out in their yards, but hey -- they already knew you were weird.
9. Add hardware. I forgot to take a picture of this step, but it was very simple. I made myself a cardstock template the exact size of the pink stripe, then found the center of it by folding it in half both ways (super scientific, I know). I laid that template on the pink stripe, then drilled a hole through the center. Repeat for all drawers, then screw in hardware. Easy peasy.
Voila! The World's Ugliest Dresser turned super fabulous on the cheap. My cost for this was:
Paint and brush: $10 (Thanks to a Groupon for Kwal paint), with TONS of paint leftover for other projects.
Hardware: $12 (I got these at Hobby Lobby -- they have knobs 50% off very frequently)
So don't pass up a good deal just because it looks ugly -- a little creativity and elbow grease can transform anything!
To see the rest of the room, check out this post.
I'll be linking up to these great parties!