Monday, December 27, 2010

Birthday Spotlights (the scrapbooker's way)

Both my boys have December birthdays, and both their teachers recommended bringing in about "About Me" poster for their spotlight on their special day.  But with the craziness of December in general and still trying to keep our house spotless at all times for showings, I could not wrap my brain around making a big poster and then trying to figure out what to do with it afterwards.  My solution?  Make a scrapbook page instead!  I used my favorite pics from our recent family photo shoot and interviewed each boy about their current vital information.  I took them to their classes, where they were much admired by students and teachers alike, and now I can tuck them away in their scrapbooks while patting myself on the back for killing two birds with one stone.  (Spotlight poster?  Done!  Birthday milestone scrapbook page?  Done!  Now I'll probably just print off snapshots from their actual birthdays and put them in pocket pages with these in their scrapbooks.)

This is Joshy's:

Materials:  PP -- Basic Grey; Letter Stickers -- Cosmo Cricket; Die cuts -- Cricut Lyrical Letters (letters), Paper Doll Dress Up (rocket ship), Christmas Cheer (swirls) and George (star) cartridges; green strap -- Lil Davis Designs
 
And here is Sam's:


I was pretty proud of myself on Sam's especially.  I'm a lazy scrapper, and I really like to buy paper in collections so I don't have to stress about coordinating things.  But this layout combines paper from no less than 4 different manufacturers!  Ironically, it came together faster than just about any layout I've made.  Go figure!  Also, I challenged myself to make a boy layout with no stars for accents, because looking back through their pages I realized that had become my go-to shape for boys.  So I made these cute little accordian flowers with the pencil paper and they turned out so cool!  I also added a bottle cap, which is special because Sam LOVES collecting them.  He even made a bottlecap necklace for his cute little best friend at school.

Materials:  PP -- Autumn Leaves (cursive paper), Making Memories (green polka dot and brown houndstooth in the bottlecap), Scenic Route (green paper for the 7), and Cosmo Cricket (pencil/ledger paper -- actually the same paper): Letter stickers -- Cosmo Cricket; Scrabble tile sticker -- EK Success; Distressing -- Cat's Eye chalk ink; Die cuts -- Cricut Billionaire (letters) and Printing Press (7) cartridges

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Tomi I LOVE IT! Great job!

Tonya said...

These are the best layouts for boys! I really like that you tried to stray away from so many stars and used the bottle cap, the green strap (that at first I thought was maybe an old belt), and the folded flowers! Since Josh wants to be an astronaut I love that you used rocket paper in the background. And I like that Sam's layout looks a little more grown up and the #7 is awesome! Thanks for sharing!!!